My blog is about Gods grace and about finding treasures in the darkness. It's about growing in my faith when it's hard and the darkness wants to consume me. We found out that our grandbabies Jayden and Brooklyn were diagnosed with a rare genetic disorder called Sanfilippo Syndrome and will possibly only live a short life. It's about our hope in God, finding him faithful and being amazed by grace.

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Just take steps

 I usually wake up in the morning to a to-do list of sorts.  Its not an actual written down kind of a list.

But today I ignore that list and I ask God to give me His list.   Just maybe He has something to say that i need to hear. I think I need to listen more and speak less. 

My mind always wants to race to the finish line,  but not today.  I need to settle my heart.  I seek a stillness that mostly eludes me.  

My mind takes me back a few years, shortly before my dad passed away.  

My dad was a sweet humble man.  As he got a little older and as he mellowed, his heart was pure golden as was his age.  

I remember as he entered into his 80's,  he was still serving in the church in a variety of ways.   

I have this sweet picture of him quietly walking down the church hallway with a limp in his step but a huge sized heart.  

He was always looking to serve in some small way, but realizing there were many things he could no longer do.  But he was still taking steps.  

He loved listening to the young childrens memory verses as they were eager to share with him.  

I see him sitting along side them with a gleam in his eye and joy in his heart.  I know that brought him purpose, much more than I knew at the time.  

That memory doesn't go away for me.  It makes my heart smile.  He was secretly incredible.  Everything about him rang forth, humble servant.  

He would continue to ask me if there were any handy man jobs for him to do at my house.  Are you kidding me?  Of course, need you ask.  He would show up with his tool box and get to work.  It gave him pleasure to serve.

He just took steps. 

Even though his body was slowing him down his heart shouted, keep on serving.  

This memory continues to stir my own thoughts about the courage to serve. 

Altho he never knew it, he instilled in me a servant heart by just taking steps.  

Steps of faith, steps of love, steps of humility, steps of courage.  Brave steps!   Those are not easy to do at times. 

I had an incredible example.

I think that taught me, the more I take those steps and think about others needs the less I worry about my own self worth.  My own agenda is less important.  

God hones in on my to-do list and crumples it up sometimes.  His purpose prevails.  So mine increases as well.  

I find, like my dad that serving with, to and around people is what brings joy.  So that list I mentioned gets put away for another day.  I know those things will get done eventually.

So I turn to The One who will instead unsettle me in a fresh way.   My servant heart begins to grow. 

Finding every new step is a step of faith.  Even when we have no idea what that next step looks like.  I hear a voice behind me that says.......

Be courageous and just take steps! 

Our faith is stretched and those steps become clear.   That He is right there taking them with us. 

Thanks dad for your reminder to me.  Steps you took with me, for me and for those you loved.  You taught me well!  I'm a blessed girl! 

Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it.”

Matthew 20:26
Not so with you. Instead whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant. 

Psalm 4:3 
Know that The Lord has set apart his faithful servant for himself, The Lord hears when I call to him. 

    

No comments: